Kennedy at Seminary

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

White stuff, be gone!


Where I'm from, IT DOESN'T SNOW THE FIRST WEEK OF SPRING! However, here in St. Louis, it does. Arrrrrg.

My favorite class is "The Gospel and C.S. Lewis." Right now, we're reading some of the Narnia books. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; and The Silver Chair, to be exact. Our professor, "Rev" Rossow, is a genius in my opinion. He's incredibly insightful. Also, he does something that many sem profs don't do well. He encourages creative thinking and makes you feel that your comments are valuable, whether you say something interesting or not. Often professors play a game called "I'm Going to Ask You a Question, But I Already Have the Correct Answer in My Mind, and What I Really Want to Do Is See If You Can Guess the Correct Answer I'm Thinking Of." It's refreshing to have a class that does not feed information but instead encourages creative thinking. I guess that's the nature of a literature class compared to a class strictly on theology, in which, frankly, there are right and wrong answers.

Snow, I'd like you to know, is associated with evil in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. When Aslan, the Christ-lion, comes, winter goes away. Cold is evil.

By the way, the snow means our intramural softball game today is cancelled. That's why I have unbudgeted time to be verbose on the blog.

Have you given up anything for Lent? I forgot to think of something to give up. Someone, who didn't like people trying to please God by giving up something for Lent, once told me she was sacrificing her Wednesday evenings for Lent. In other words, she was attending Lent church services. I don't see anything wrong with giving up something for Lent. Self-discipline and personal reflection are healthy. Trying to earn brownie points with God is not healthy, but that's not the spirit of Lent.

On Sunday, I ran six miles for the third time in my life. (The other times were last spring and three weeks ago.) It was after church. I had just finished my Taco Bell gut bomb for lunch. I was comfortable in the recliner reading a book for Ethnic Ministries class. Then, breaking the silence, my buddy Josh LaFeve comes bouncing down the stairs. "Kennedy! Wanna go for a jog?" And, after some deliberation, but ultimately powerless to resist the Frenchman's offer, I said OK. Surprisingly, the Taco Bell didn't effect the run or my life afterward.

35 days until Call Day. (Call Day is when I find out where I'll be spending my year-long internship, or "vicarage," as we call it in the Lutheran Church.)

2 Comments:

  • Kennedy- that's a good class with Rossow. What book are you doing your paper on? How come your Betta Fish hasn't responded to my pet rock's challenge for a duel? huh?

    By Blogger josh, at 7:12 AM  

  • Sounds like a long name for a game.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home