Kennedy at Seminary

Friday, May 05, 2006

Warfare in teaching, and softball


Lots of exciting things going on for me right now. As is my policy on the blog, I won't post anything personal, but I'll tell you about some things you might enjoy reading.

I just finished my second week of student teaching for Pastor as Educator class. I've been teaching seventh grade religion class at Immanuel Lutheran School in Wentzville, Missouri, about a 4o-minute drive from the seminary. Yesterday, my professor came and observed. We had a good lesson. The kids were well behaved. I told them before class that I wanted them to periodically say, "Oh, that's interesting," after I said something intended to be profound. So I said, "Let's begin our class with a prayer." And I hear from the front of the class, "Oh, that's interesting."

I want to post some pictures from today's lesson. It was so much fun. The lesson was on God protecting the prophet Elijah as he was on the run from evil King Ahab and Queen Jezebel. We compared God's protection of Elijah to how He protects us with the "Armor of the Lord." I had the kids cut "armor" out of construction paper and tape the armor on each other. The teacher, Mrs. Neese, and I cut out devil's horns and put them on our heads. Then we attacked the kids with a big gun that shoots smoke. (Mrs. Neese, being the science teacher, has some great props.) The point was that the Armor of the Lord withstands the devil's attacks. God protects His people in spiritual warfare. Mrs. Neese took pictures of us. She said she'd e-mail them to me, so I'll plan to post them. I think they're very funny. We had a great time. My buddy BJ was teaching across the building during the war. He told me afterward that just as he was getting to the dramatic Gospel moment of his lesson, there was loud, disruptive yelling across the building. Whoops. That would be my class. Another class gathered outside our room the see what was going on. I guess they don't have wars all the time in Lutheran schools. (This is not a commentary on violence in public schools.)

Intramurals update: After compiling a 3-1 record in softball, our team lost its last two games to bring our record to 3-3. We needed to win our last game to qualify for the playoffs. And we did, 11-3! We're looking to win the triple crown (football, basketball, and softball). Tuesday is the playoffs. After that, the Geckos play no more. Sad. But it has been a great year for our intramural team.

I have more to say, but I'll save it for another time. This is long enough for today. Thanks for reading. God's blessings.

10 Comments:

  • Vicar-elect Kennedy, Anytime you can cause a war in a lutheran school you have achieved a status that is nearly unreachable in lutheran circles. Congratulations! How's the paper for Rossow coming? YOu're working with "Last Battle," right? I want to hear what you've got to say about it sometime.

    By Blogger josh, at 8:16 AM  

  • Thanks for a great time today! :)
    Mindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 PM  

  • Mondays are not usually fun, but chocolate definitely helps. :)Thanks so much for thinking of me!
    Hope your teaching went well! Have a great day!
    Mindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 AM  

  • Chris - got your paper. I'm going to read it this evening after my sermon finishes me, or when I finish my sermon, whichever comes first. thanks for spamming my blog

    affectionately and passionately yours,

    sullivan

    By Blogger josh, at 7:32 AM  

  • Hey Chris! I hope you have a great Monday! My kids are crazy-as I should have expected being that it is the second to last week of school (not that I am counting or anything). :)
    Thanks for calling last night..your message was nice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

  • Vicar-Elect, I read your paper. I enjoyed it. I liked the last section about sifting through disorder to get to order, going through turmoil so you appreciate peace so much more. I also thought the insight about the "longing" to be very true. Seensucht, is that the German word Rossow would use to describe it? My thoughts on the heaven/new earth question: I think the new narnia is the new heavens/new earth. You could've done a little more with the application to biblical themes though, stuff in 2nd Isaiah and Ezekiel I think, but overall, I thought it was a great work. I learned somethings from it, so it was good. Hope everything is well with you. ARe you home now? When does Vicarage start for you?

    By Blogger josh, at 12:31 PM  

  • Thanks a lot for what You are doing!Information, that I managed to find here
    is extremely useful and essential for me!With the best regards!
    David

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Good afternoon.I should say, that Your site is really great. Design, layouts, structure, logos...Everything is so awesome!Thanks a lot once more!Iam deffinetely bookmarking this site!
    With the best regards!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 AM  

  • Best regards from NY! » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home