Kennedy at Seminary

Thursday, April 27, 2006

More on vicarage

Today I finished arranging to go down to Kingwood to observe what the current vicar is doing with a young adult ministry called Kairos (Greek for "appointed time"). I'll be in Kingwood from May 11 to 13. I'm excited about meeting members of the congregation. Over the past few days, I've heard nothing but positive things about the church and the people there. I spoke for a while with the vicar from a year ago, who is finishing his fourth year at seminary. He couldn't stop saying what a great experience it was.

Here's a description of the church from the paperwork I was given:
"Christ the King is a growing 17-year-old congregtation of mostly families (700 of its 1,600 members are below the age of 15). It has a staff of four called workers (two ordained), lay workers, support staff, and preschool staff. Christ the King strives to be a 'mission outpost' for the sake of reaching the lost and discipling the saved. Alternative ministry approaches and worship formats are used to present the truth of God's unchanging Word to a highly educated, affluent community."

The vicar preaches 12 times a year, helps plan and lead worship, visits, teaches, and works with the staff on various projects.

I've spoken with the senior pastor a number of times. I think he'll be a great supervisor. I've heard the ministry team is full of creative, caring people. The worship services are completely contemporary, something I enjoy. I know it won't be a perfect vicarage; there's no such thing. But I think it will be a good fit for me.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Chris. This is Mindy (first grade teacher at Immanuel). I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed talking with you earlier this week. I hope we get to talk again soon. :)
    I am glad that I found your blog.....fun to read.
    Have a great day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home