Kennedy at Seminary

Monday, April 30, 2007

This entry is for the birds

All I ever needed to know about church growth I learned from feeding birds.

For the past few weeks, I've been putting bird seed on the deck in the back yard. I take my bag of seed and dump some on the corner of the deck farthest from the back door. That way, birds don't have to worry about the big, bad human hurting them. They're not even close to my back door. (Church parallel: Planting a church in the suburbs usually works better than planting one in the city. The suburbs are safer.) I admit, my bird seed pile isn't attractive. I simply dump bird seed onto the wood of the deck. Maybe the birds are turned off by the plain appearance. Maybe I should buy a nice birdfeeder. (Many churches start by meeting in a school or storefront. An actual church building costs more, but it has the advantage of looking like a church.) How do I get the birds to start coming? I sit at the dining table and eat my breakfast. It's a beautiful day. I hear birds. But I don't see them eating my bird seed. (A church planter's frustration: I see the people. How do I get them into the church?)

Next topic. Dear Dallas Mavericks: What are you doing? Your choke in the Finals last year was the worst in NBA history! You're about to be on the wrong end of the biggest first-round upset in NBA history! Don't let this happen! Thanks.

If you have a minute to spare:
1. Go to www.google.com
2. Click on "maps"
3. Click on "get directions"
4. Type "New York" in the first box (the "from" box)
5. Type "London" in the second box (the "to" box)
6. Click "Get Directions"
7. Scroll down and read step #24

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I like word press much better. I think it's easier to use, it has more templates to choose from, and I love the widgets. I also like the preview of the web page you get when you move your mouse over a link.

    By Blogger Emily, at 9:25 AM  

  • Hey Chris. Happy almost May!! So much stuff going on right now. Will and I are getting married in FOUR months! Ah! :)
    OUr church is flying us out there to visit in a few weeks. I am so excited/nervous/clueless about what is ahead! :)
    How are you?
    MIndy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Thats awesome! Next time I have 29 days to spare, I'm going to try it!

    By Blogger Rebekah House, at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home